The sad truth is that so many modern couples just stay in toxic relationships knowing full well that it’s bad for them to do so. And they do this because they are too afraid of the potential backlash that comes from exiting the relationship. They are too afraid of having to face the world as a single person after having been in a relationship for so long. They are too afraid of what other people might say as a result of them leaving the relationship. And you might happen to be one of those people as well. But here’s the truth that you really need to realize: you shouldn’t have to be afraid of being single. And you most certainly shouldn’t be ashamed of leaving a relationship that’s bad for you. Being single doesn’t mean that people are going to brand you as an unlovable creature. Being single doesn’t mean that you are going to be destined for a life of utter loneliness.
And the reason I know all of this for certain is that I lived it. I went through all of this myself. I used to be terrified at the thought of having to face this world on my own. But then, after being unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on your perspective) enough to date a few guys who treated me terribly, I realized that being alone doesn’t have to be so scary. I realized that being alone would be a wonderful alternative, a breath of fresh air when compared to being in a relationship with a toxic individual.
I know exactly what it’s like to get hurt because of a relationship. I know exactly how it feels to just put myself at the mercy of a toxic individual who only causes me a lot of pain, stress, and worries. And I promised that I would never be putting myself in such a compromising situation ever again.
Being single has helped me learn a lot of things; it has given me valuable life lessons that I needed to grow and develop into the person that I need to become. Accepting singlehood as a blessing has granted me so many opportunities that I used to be depriving myself of. It has given me some seriously more profound perspectives on life, love, and relationships. It has allowed me to really explore the depths of my spirit and realize that self-worth and self-love were important aspects of any person’s life.
Of course, I’m not saying that you shouldn’t be wasting your time on love; far from it. What I’m saying is that you should only ever really be giving your time and energy to real love. Because if you’re merely in something that looks a lot like love but is actually far from what it should be, then you are better off being single. You shouldn’t be afraid of being single; you should be afraid of being with the man who you’re not meant to be with.
1. Don’t be afraid of being on your own; be afraid of being with someone who doesn’t allow you to be who you really are.
2. Don’t be afraid of spending time alone; be afraid of spending time with the wrong people.
3. Don’t be afraid of sleeping by yourself; be afraid of waking up next to someone who doesn’t care about you.
4. Don’t be afraid of failing on your own; be afraid of succeeding in all the wrong ways.
5. Don’t be afraid of being celibate; be afraid of being sexually active with someone who only sees you as some object for pleasure.
6. Don’t be afraid of having difficult conversations; be afraid of having trivial conversations with someone who doesn’t want to go deeper with you.
7. Don’t be afraid of crying on your own; be afraid of feeling alone even when you’re supposedly in a relationship with someone who loves you.
8. Don’t be afraid of being single; be afraid of being in a relationship with someone who couldn’t care less about you.
There is just so much stigma these days (especially on girls) who are single, and it has just got to stop. Society can’t keep looking down on the single girl who is doing everything she can to make a name for herself. It’s much better to be single than to be in a relationship that’s just all kinds of wrong. A person’s self-worth shouldn’t be tied to their relationship status. You should never feel pressured to be in a relationship just because you think that that is society’s expectation for you. Fall in love when it’s right for you to do so; and until then, be happy in your single life.