1. Confront all of your negative feelings. You are never going to be able to get over how bad you’re feeling unless you come to terms with all of the negativity in your life. You need to be able to own up to the fact that you’re not in an ideal state right now when it comes to your emotions. It’s only when you acknowledge a problem when you are able to address it. So come face to face with your negative feelings so that you can overcome them.
2. Try to rationalize your feelings. Try to really understand how you feel and why you have come to feel that way. Of course, you get the feeling of loss and nostalgia. You feel like you miss your relationship. You feel like you miss the feeling of being in love with someone. Or you might even really be missing your partner himself. Whatever the case, you need to figure your feelings out if you’re going to gain power over them. You need to understand how you’re feeling if you’re going to eventually overcome them.
3. Try getting back together with him. Of course, this is only a viable option if you know that you have a legitimate shot at making things work this time. Also, try to assess if he’s actually worth a second shot. Make sure that he’s a guy who is worth taking another chance on. Otherwise, you will be setting yourself up for disappointment again; and at the hands of someone who isn’t even deserving of it in the first place. You really need to think long and hard about this option before you undertake it – for your own sake.
4. Put your feelings to writing in the form of letters addressed to your ex – but you don’t have to send them out. In fact, the whole point of the exercise is for you to come to terms with how you feel. So whether you actually send these letters out is irrelevant. You just have to be brave enough to try to structure your thoughts and put your feelings on paper. Really think about how you feel and take the time to figure out how you’re going to move past these feelings of nostalgia you might be battling with.
5. Try to distract yourself by keeping yourself busy. Sometimes, the easiest way to just get rid of these negative feelings is to shun them. Yes, it’s not good to just leave your feelings bottled up inside. But you can’t let all of the negativity consume you either. You have to be able to still live your life the way that you want to live it. And that all starts with you finding the strength to do other things that take you away from the negativity of your feelings. Just because you miss your ex-boyfriend doesn’t mean that you should be placing the rest of your life on pause. It can be very healthy for you to immerse yourself in the other aspects of your life that require your attention.
6. Take care of yourself. Yes, you are sad. But sometimes, one of the most important steps to take in healing is to engage in self-love. You need to be able to do things for yourself. You need to make sure that you are taking care of yourself; that you are not neglecting your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being. At the end of the day, you should be the priority in your own life. Yes, your boyfriend’s leaving has left a big hole in your universe. But that doesn’t mean that you should just allow yourself to wither and die.
7. Give yourself the necessary time it takes to heal. Remember that time really does heal all wounds. But what is important is that you don’t rush yourself. You have to make sure that you aren’t pressuring yourself to be okay right away. It takes some people much more time to heal than others. And you should always just be going at your own pace. You can’t heal your wounds overnight. Just trust that you’re going to be okay eventually.
8. Work towards your goals. You still have a life that you need to live. You still have certain duties and responsibilities that you need to fulfill. There are still some certain expectations for yourself that you need to be living up to. And you can’t compromise these things just because you miss someone. In fact, focusing on these aspects of life can help you forget about missing your ex.
9. Stay away from the things and people that remind you of your ex. You just might need to remove yourself from the entire situation for you to get over it. You’re just going to have to get used to a life without being in a relationship with your ex. It might take some time; but you’ll get there eventually.