Mother Left in ‘Absolute Agony’ After Viral TikTok Hack Left Skin Peeling from her Face

A mum has warned people to be careful while trying different TikTok hacks, which could be disastrous.

37-year-old Shafia Bashir from Bolton, Greater Manchester, tried TikTok’s viral ‘microwave poached egg hack,’ but things went south, and her food exploded, leaving her skin peeling from her face.

According to Shafia, she used the much-publicized recipe available all over the video-sharing platform – she first poured some boiling water into a mug before adding the egg. Then she put it in the microwave oven for a few minutes until it had cooked.

However, when she put a cold spoon on the egg, it erupted ‘like a fountain’ and scalded the right side of her face.

Bashir was taken to the hospital, where she was treated in the A&E, but her burns kept stinging for the next 12 hours.

“As soon as I put the cold spoon in, it exploded like a fountain and it scalded me. I put my face under the tap and then had to get my mate to look after my daughter so I could go to A&E. My face has healed now, luckily with no scars. I used Vaseline, Sudocrem, whatever I could get my hands on,” she added.

The mum-of-one revealed that it was not the first time that she tried to cook her egg that way, and in fact, she had been making the dish for three using her mother-in-law’s recipe, but when she tried to make it on May 12, things went south.

“I did it exactly the same as I usually do it. I had already made the toast, I was starving. My ex-mother-in-law told me about it. She told me how to make a poached egg in the microwave. I had been doing it for three years.”

“I boiled the kettle, half-filled the mug with water, put salt inside, the egg inside, and microwaved it for a minute. It wasn’t cooked, so I put it in for another minute.”

She continued, “After it happened, I put my face under the tap for 20 mins. But the burning lasted for 12 hours. It just didn’t stop.”

According to British Media Journal, cooking shelled eggs in a microwave is dangerous as the shell retains heat and the egg keeps cooking itself – and there are chances of explosion in case of a disruption.

The same could also happen if you cook poached eggs in the microwave, so it’s better to avoid doing that or maybe take extra precautions.

Shafia’s wounds have now healed, and her scars are also fading, but the mum-of-one advised everyone to stay safe while trying different hacks on the internet because they can be harmful.

“I just don’t want anyone else going through that, because it is trending on TikTok… It was the most excruciating pain in my life. It was a terrifying time for me. I was in absolute agony,” she said.

Share Your Thoughts:

Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Source: SWNS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.