When a relationship begins, there is this feeling of insecurity, which is impossible to push aside. No matter how hard you try to push the uncertainty away, it stays around for some time. It’s never easy opening up to someone for the first time. The idea of getting way too attached with a person who might not be worth your time, love, and care is kind of scary. You might feel petrified the first time you do anything; things can get real awkward quick. You don’t know a person very well, and you certainly don’t know how they will react to certain situations. A seemingly nice person might behave very indifferently under certain circumstances.
This is the era of texting; it saves you the pain of confronting a person or talking to them over the phone. Being kind of shy, texting saved me from a whole lot of drama. Texting initially helped me develop a steady relationship with my partner without being judged. It helped me understand her better; women, unlike us men, are born to text. Probably they too feel secure when they aren’t being judged. It’s always hard to be smooth at texting because we men aren’t texting people. While a woman’s idea of a perfect evening would be to stay home, watch The Notebook’, drink hot chocolate, and text her friends, I’d rather watch a game with my boys.
The first time, I texted my partner, she didn’t reply immediately, this left me feeling bewildered. Never before have had I felt so much pressure to be good at texting.
Here is precisely what I wrote, “Hi, what’s up? 😀 <3.” SMOOTH, eh?
The number of things that went through my mind:
1. Maybe she is in the toilet.
2. She might be reading her favorite book or magazine in the bathroom, okay perhaps she is not in the bathroom.
3. Maybe she is taking a bath, maybe the kind of long hot showers they show in the movies.
4. She might have asked a stupid friend for advice who might have said that if she replied too quickly, she would look desperate, okay cool.
5. She might be sleeping, I mean she might have been out with her friends all night long and might be tired.
6. She is ignoring me; she better not is. I mean, I was nice to her, and that’s about as nice as I get.
7. What did I do wrong to deserve this? Did all the girls I didn’t text back feel the same way?
8. Boy, now I feel like a douche, I mean, how could I?
9. Should I send her an email or a voice message? Nah, then I’d look desperate. Also, my coarse voice might scare her.
10. She thinks I am a serial killer, damn I shouldn’t have told her that I watch Dexter!
11. Maybe I should go over to her place and ask her if she thinks I am a serial killer.
12. Okay, I am over her. No, I am not over her.
13. I think it was just a onetime thing for her; she is probably seeing some new guy right now.
14. Maybe she is hooking up with her Ex; I mean, they had a past together.
15. I think she wants my attention, and she wants me to drool over her and yearn for her attention.
16. Is this girl for real? I mean, how could she take so much pleasure out of my situation?
17. Okay, lady, you have my attention now, please stop this.
18. I should probably stop thinking about her; I will visit Jake, that will be good. It will get my mind off things.
19. She must be a gold digger, and since I am not rich, no attention shall be given to me.
20. What’s wrong with women nowadays? They wouldn’t be able to see a good man if he smacked them in the face.
21. Is it because of my Irish Accent? Yeah, it must be because of my accent.
22. This woman is getting a laugh out of my desperate situation; I’ll give her something to laugh at. I am going to send her a strongly worded text message! Ah, no, I am not.
23. She is not interested in me at all, but how could she not be? I mean, I am fantastic!
24. Oh, her phone might be silent! (Man I still hate it when she puts her phone on silent).
25. She has no feelings.
26. Wow! She has got some attitude.
27. A friend might have called her for advice; she seemed pretty much in touch with her emotional side. I mean, she was intelligent, smart, and exciting. Wait, what am I doing?
28. She might have fainted; she seemed so fragile. Maybe I should go over to check in on her just in case.
29. She might have caught the flu and is probably sleeping. I hope she gets well soon. I kind of miss her.
30. She told me one of her best friends was getting married in ten days; she might be planning a bridal shower, a bachelorette party, or something for her.
31. Maybe she didn’t like my beard; she didn’t seem like a woman who would have a kink for hairy men. It’s not my fault that I was born hairy.
32. Man, I knew I shouldn’t have taken her to that restaurant. It is kind of cheap, but the food is so good!
She contacted me herself a few days later over Facebook and asked me if I would like to go as her date to her friend’s wedding. It turns out I forgot to give her my number. Also, I didn’t mention my name, and she doesn’t reply to strangers.